Club History since 1889

Did you know

The first recording of a match involving Rahoon Hurling Club was on the 11th October 1889 where Rahoon John Mitchells took part in a tournament in Galway City. The other teams who took part were Turloughmore, Claddagh, College Rd, Oranmore, St Patricks and Clarinbridge. Rahoon John Mitchells wore green jerseys.

In 1837 Rahoon Parish stretched from Claddagh to Furbo and had a population of 14,135. After the famine in 1849 the population stood at just over 8,000.

In 1894 PJ Foley became the first County GAA Official from Rahoon when he was elected as Treasurer of Galway GAA.

In 1904 there were 18 Seniors Clubs in Galway , Rahoon John Mitchell’s were now known as Rahoon GAA. The other two teams in or around the city were Castlegar and Galway St Patricks. Rahoon were drawn in the first round of Championship against Castlegar.

In 1908 Rahoon Seniors and Juniors travelled to Athenry to play Tuam Stars in Senior and Craughwell in Junior. Rahoon players and their huge following made their way by Side Car and Brakes. They were led along the way by their own Fife and Drum band.

In 1909 Rahoon Seniors defeated Turloughmore in the championship only for Turlough to subsequently object on the basis that a Rahoon players was alleged to be a member of the Militia. After many appeals Rahoon were ejected from the tournament. Rahoon then withdrew from all GAA activity until 1924.

In 1924 Rahoon returned as a Junior Team and played Derrydonnell in the Championship. Other City clubs were Thomas Ashe’s, Carrabrowne, Terryland, Emmets, and Claddagh. Galway won its first Senior Hurling All Ireland. Turkeys could be purchased in the Christmas Market at 7d in old money or at 3 cents a llb in today’s money. Weekly wages were €1.59 per week.

In 1927 the Sports ground in Galway opened. Due to the fact that not one round of the 1926 championship had been played and the political upheaval as result of the 1927 General Election campaign, Rahoon once again withdrew from GAA activity until 1936.

In 1936 Rahoon again returned to action. That year Liam Mellows who had formed in 1933 won the Senior Hurling Club Championship and UCG won the Football. A Hillman Minx Saloon Car cost € 315. Rahoon were drawn with Shantallow, Renmore, Menlo, Oranmore and Moycullen in the Junior Championship.

Rahoon Jerseys were now Green and Gold.

President of the Club was Rev Fr Conway. Treasurers were Peter Feeney and Peter Moloney. Secretary was Miko Dunne and Club Captain was Jack Geary.

In 1937 a 7 a side competition was organised in Killeen at the Palmers estate. Rahoon and Moycullen faced each other in the final. A shemozzle developed late in the game so much so that Rahoon cashier at entrance gate Peter Michael Kelehan decided it was wise to move the Finances elsewhere so that a demand for money back could not arise.

In 1940 Rahoon were drawn in the Junior Championship with Erins Hope, Ballindooley, Galway City, Moycullen and Castlegar. The Clouds of war were gathering in Europe and Rahoon along with many other clubs failed to field in 1941 and it would be 1945 before they returned again.

Rahoon affiliated a Junior and Minor team in the West Board in 1945 whilst the Second World War had yet to conclude. There are very few reports on matches during this time due to the shortage of news print and most stories were War news.

John Griffin and Michael Tierney of Rahoon represented the Club at the West Board meetings. Tom Bermingham was Vice Chair of the West board in 1947. Rahoon played St Josephs and Erins hope in Championship. The Major source of Fundraising according to Treasurer Thomas Feeney was a Ceili held in Astaire Ballroom in Victoria Place in Eyre Square.

In 1947 Martin Joe Codyre was the first Rahoon player to play County Minor and played in the second half of All Ireland Hurling Final against Tipperary which Galway lost.

In 1948 Rahoon entered Junior and Minor Hurling teams and also a Junior Football team. The Hurlers played CIE, Erins Hope, Mellows and St Josephs in Junior. Paddy Murphy of Tonabrucky played Minor and shortly after emigrated to Canada. He would return many years later and provide the grounds for the Clubs pitch and clubhouse in Tonabrucky in late 1990’s.

Bartley Faherty of Corbally became treasurer in 1949.

In 1950 and 1951 Rahoon and Moycullen joined to participate in the Senior Championship under the Corrib Sarsfields name. In 1951 they played against Liam Mellows in the West Board Senior Championship semi-final. The game was played in Woodstock.

In 1952 after Ceili Mor in Furbo Hall Rahoon purchased new Jerseys and the colours now became Green and Red.

In 1954 John Dunne and Patrick Griffin Letteragh represented Rahoon at West board meetings.

In 1955 Rahoon minors beat Knocknacarra and Fr Tom Burkes before losing to Castlegar in the final at South Park.

In 1957 Rahoon won its first ever title by defeating Moycullen in the West board Junior Championship final at Pearse Stadium. Rahoon defeated Knocknacarra, Fr Tom Burkes, and Clan na Gael along the way. Training at the time was the Island on the banks of Lough Corrib near Barnacranny. Training was then switched in October to Jim Carr’s field in Circular Rd and the lights of cars and the stars overhead provided some light. Celebrations continued over the winter in Mary Ann Kelehans in Bushypark. There was no County Final stage for Junior B at the time.

In 1958 Rahoon fielded Junior A (Intermediate at the time) and a Junior B Team. This was the first time that the club had two adult teams since 1908. Indeed the Junior B team made it to the West board final before losing to Cois Fharraige.

1n 1959 Rahoon won the Junior A West board title beating Claregalway before losing to Skehanagh in the Co Final.

In 1960 Rahoon were defeated in the West board Junior A Final by Fr Tom Burke’s. The Club held its first ever Annual Dinner dance in the Oslo Hotel in Jan 1961. Chairman was Jack Mitchell, Vice chairman was John Dunne, and Secretary was Eamon Noone, Junior Captain was Mairtin Nestor, Vice-Captain Ned Griffin, and Minor Captain Mike Malley. At Juvenile level the club crossed swords with St Augustine’s, St Michaels, Oranmore and Claregalway.

In 1962 Rahoon changed Jerseys to Maroon and White the colours still worn to date. Rahoon won the West board league final defeating Oranmore in the final.

In 1963 Gerry Cloherty was elected Vice Chair of the West Board. He then became Chairman of the West board from 1965 to 1967 before becoming County Board Chairman from 1968 to 1973. Paddy Joe Flaherty was Junior Captain and Owen Kearns was Minor Captain. It was agreed to hold a Raffle for a ton of Coal as a novel fundraising event in the Savoy Cinema opposite the GPO on today’s Eglinton Street. On Sunday night the Management of the Cinema kindly agreed to hold the draw at the interval of the film. However as the draw drum was being spun a ferocious racket broke out amongst those attending the Cinema. After these were ejected the ton of coal was won by a woman from Fairhill. The Club made £100 on the project.

In 1964 Rahoon won the West board County Championship defeating Oranmore. Star of the Rahoon team was Tex Thornton at midfield who had transferred from Spiddal a few years earlier. Rahoon defeated Annaghdown in the County semi-final but then were defeated by Gort in the Final who had controversially been allowed to regrade from Senior to Junior.

In 1966 Fr Ray Kelly was elected President and Paddy Joe Flaherty become Chairman, Eamon Noone was Secretary and Owen Kearns Treasurer. Mathias Malley was elected Captain, PJ McGrath was minor Captain, and Tommy McGrath was Juvenile Captain. A Junior football team was also affiliated. Galway Cathedral was opened in this year. Gerry Cloherty, Michael Reardon and Owen Kearns were elected to Minor and Juvenile committee.

Rahoon won the West board League and Championship. They defeated Turloughmore in the County semi Final and Sarsfields in the final to make history by becoming the first team from the Club to win a County title. Training was in Shantalla pitch under Martin Nestor and John Dunne. Hurleys were sourced from Doherty’s of Kilrush Co Clare.

Rahoon had now returned to Senior Hurling for the first time since 1909. Mick O Connell went on to feature for Galway minors, U21 and Senior’s, Johnny Walsh at U21 and Senior and Mike Malley at Intermediate and Senior. The historic victory even made the National paper the Evening Press on the 30th November carrying the headline “Rahoon win first title”.

In 1967 the Annual Social in the Sacre Coeur was attended by over 300 guests. Colie McDonagh from the successful Galway three in a row Football team attended. Club Chairman Michael Tierney and team captain Paddy Joe Flaherty spoke. John Dunne became Chairman, Martin Nestor became secretary and Michael Reardon treasurer. Tommy McGrath was minor Hurling and Football captain.

Rahoon defeated NUIG in the West board Senior Championship before losing to Padraig Pearses (Maree /Oranmore) in the final. Rahoon defeated Loughrea in the first round County Senior Championship before going down to Meelick Eyrecourt three key players from Rahoon were hospitalised and their loss proved decisive.

In 1968 Teach Furbo was built. St Anthonys in Newcastle and St Michaels/Fr Lally’s in Shantalla had a number of successful hurling leagues taking place. Rahoon lost to Oranmore/Maree in the Senior championship and were out of the championship. Rahoon however then won their first and only Senior Trophy by defeating Carnmore to win the County Senior League (Reeves Cup). Mention to Mike Malley and Mairtin Coyne, Johnny Walsh, John Keogh, Tommy Griffin and Gerry Cloherty in defence. Mathias Malley and Anthony Concannon in midfield and Micko Connell, Paddy Joe Flaherty Tom Connor and Tom McGrath up front.

Billy Finnegan was in charge of the underage teams and the U16’s reached the first West board final. At U12 level the team beat Mervue. Honourable mentions from this team were Timothy Tarpey, Ollie Dooley, Tommy Concannon, John Kelehan, Willie Finnegan, Tom McDonagh and Gerry Curran.

Fr Lally’s minor hurlers won the City League and included on their team were Sean Davoren, Tommy Griffin, Martin Noonan, Dave Shaughnessy and Tom Nally (Captain).

In 1969 Rahoon were defeated by Abbeyknockmoy in the Senior Championship. The Minor lost the west board final to Oranmore Maree and the U21’s the West board final to Cranmore. The 60’s were a glorious period winning West board league and Championship, Co Junior Championship and County Senior League titles.

In 1970 Rahoon were narrowly defeated by Ballinasloe in the County Championship and by Carnmore in the West board Senior Championship. Fr Lally’s won the City League final with Rahoon players Mike Carr, Marty McGrath, Ted Feeney, John Tarpey and John Wynne on board.

In 1971 Pat Joe Maloney was President, John Keogh was Chairman, Patsy Kearns was vice Chair, jimmy Davoren was Secretary, Paddy Keane was Treasurer. John Keogh was Senior Captain and Tom McGrath as Junior Captain and Hugh Grehan U21 Captain. Bernie Conneely was Minor Chairman and Billy Finnegan was minor Secretary.

Rahoon drew with Kilbeacanty in the Senior Championship. The won the replay before going down to Oranmore/Maree. The Minors lost the west board semi-final to Castlegar and the U15’s lost the West board final to Carnmore.

This year was the first written report of the Tarpey Cup played in the memory of former player and official Dermot Tarpey who had tragically passed away in a car Accident in 1957. Players who took part included John Tarpey, Gerry Hernon, Sean O Connor, Christy Ward, Tim Tarpey, Mike Carr, Sean Davoren and Peter Halloran.

John Dunne who had filled nearly every role in the Club from 1954 onwards left for Dublin in 1971. Rahoon held its first Flag Day collection in this year and €317 was collected.

At the AGM in 1972 it was decided that the Senior team needed to regroup due to retirements, transfers and emigration and were regraded to Intermediate. Rahoon defeated Liam Mellows in the West board Senior league which they were still in. Indeed two former Rahoon players Mathias Malley and Willie Concannon, who had previously transferred, lined out for Liam Mellows in this game. Rahoon lost to Mullagh in the first round tie who subsequently went on to win the competition.

Rahoon defeated Castlegar in the West board Minor league semi final but were beaten by Oranmore in the final. Ironically at U21 level they also beat Castlegar and lost to Oranmore in the West board final who went on to win the County final.

In 1973 Johnny Walsh was picked as a replacement for Jim Tracey (Kilkenny) on the All Stars tour of California. He was the only Galway player chosen on the trip. In March Anthony Concannon who was a stalwart of the title winning teams of the mid sixties was tragically killed in a motoring accident. His family would donate a trophy in his name “The Concannon Cup”.

Rahoon would lose the first round of the Intermediate championship to Pearses (Ballymacward/Gurteen). A number of Rahoon players would feature for T O Huiginn who won the Interfirm final against SPS. Gerry Hernon, Seamus Griffin, Mike Carr, Mick O Connell, Mike Mulcaire and Tom McGrath. Jimmy Davoren lined out for SPS.

In 1974 Fr Joe Delaney was Chairman, Joe Sheridan was Secretary and Paddy Keane was Treasurer. Rahoon defeated Castlegar in the West Board Minor League Final. Two members of the team were native born Americans Jimmy McGowan born in New York and Gerry Kelly born in Chicago. Pat Jennings at Centre forward was a full time Fisherman and soon after had to give up the game of hurling. The hour long clash between Marty McGrath and Joe Connolly Castlegar future Captain of the Galway All Ireland winning side in 1980 was a highlight of the game.

At Intermediate level Rahoon were pipped by Tynagh who scored a goal in the last minute. The Rahoon Junior team were defeated by Castlegar in West board final. Rahoon won the U16 City Championship title defeating Mervue. Notable mention to Stephen Griffin, Tom Riordan, Gerry Curran, Sean Davoren, Martin Gannon, Pat McGrath, Bernard Nolan, Michael Kelly , Tommy Conneely and Martin Kelly. Rahoon would also win the Minor City league this year.

In 1975 Sean Davoren played in the All Ireland Minor Semi final against Cork. Rahoon defeated Craughwell in the County Senior League.

In 1976 Rahoon Minors would take pride of place. In the first round they defeated Craughwell, followed by Gort in the second round, and then St Thomas. In the County semi final they defeated a Castlegar side featuring the Connolly brothers before falling at the final hurdle to Killimordaly who featured future Galway players John and Pascal Ryan.

Billy Finnegan, Gerry Cloherty and Martin Joe Faherty (current lotto coordinator) trained and managed the team. Starring for Rahoon were Sean and Marty Davoren, Pat and Marty McGrath, Willie and Joey Corcoran, Michael Kelly, Eamon King, Tommy Riordan, Michael McDonagh, John and Willie Finnegan, Sean Wynne and Tommy Concannon.

A feature of this group was a number of boarders from St Marys College from Clifden and Clonbur who had to be picked up returned to the College after each game. Sean Davoren played at Centre field for Galway Minors against Kilkenny. Sean and Pat McGrath played in the All Ireland Colleges final against Good Counsel New Ross which was lost.

In 1977 second hand house were for sale for € 17,000. The OAP rate was €15. It was the coldest Winter in 26 years and ESB staff went on strike. A public telephone kiosk was installed in Rahoon Park.

In the Intermediate Championship Rahoon after having a bye in round one drew with St Thomas and defeated them in the replay by twelve points. The defeated Tynagh next by two points and then faced Pearses on the 14th August in Loughrea where they came out on top by 3-12 to 1-12. The team trained in St Marys and tactics and team selection took place the night before the game in Manager Tom McGrath’s Hay shed. The Rahoon team was Marty Davoren, James Davoren, Mike O Malley, Tom Riordan, Sean Davoren, Mick O Connell, Marty McGrath, Tom Connor, Mike Carr, Johnny Walsh, Tim Mullins, John Tarpey, Paddy Joe Flaherty, Hugh Grehan Capt and Bernie Conneely.

A Feature of this team was that Paddy Joe Flaherty had now played in every Rahoon Final success from 1957 to 1977.

Marty Davoren and Michael McDonagh played in the All Ireland Minor semi final against Cork.

In 1978 Rahoon lost to Carnmore by a solitary point in the Senior Championship 1-10 to 1-09

In 1979 Pope John Paul the second visited Ireland and celebrated a Youth Mass in Ballybrit. Tom McGrath was Chairman, Mike Mulcaire was Secretary, Jimmy Davoren was Treasurer, Martin Joe Faherty was President. The Senior’s defeated Sarsfields by 2-12 to 2-10 in the first round of the Championship. Tom Connor and James Gannon dominated midfield, Hugh Grehan, Michael McDonagh, Timmy Mullin, Mick O Connell, Sean Davoren and Bernie Conneely were best for Rahoon. Tommie Larkins defeated Rahoon by four points in the next round.

Tommy Riordan and Sean Davoren played for Galway U21’s against Wexford in the All Ireland Semi-final and against Tipperary in the Final which was lost.

While success at adult level was apparent in the late 70’s the period from 1977 to 1979 was a difficult one for Rahoon at underage level and 1979 was particularly so. They were absent from U14, U16 and U17 competitions. At the same time there were successful juvenile hurling leagues in Mervue, Renmore, Woodquay and Newcastle. A small group of former and current players realizing the seriousness of the situation decided to set up a special under age section of the club. This group consisted of Paddy Joe Flaherty, Gerry Cloherty, Hugh Grehan, Mike Mulcaire, Mattie O Toole, and Pat Walsh of Shantalla. The U16s and U14s played Moycullen in the Flaherty and McGrath Cups.

Four U13 teams played off on a league basis for the Tarpey Cup. Players included Tom Higgins, Paraic Keane, Robert Walsh, Greg Small, Paraic Maloney, Ray Lawless, Peter Keane, Niall Duffy, Thomas Flaherty, Bertie o Halloran, Tom Nestor, Gary Cloherty, Mike Swan, Des Rushe, Mike Nestor, Kieran Phelan, Frank Rushe, Thomas O Halloran, Richie Walsh, Kevin Joyce, Stephen Lally, John Giles, Barry Rushe, Paraic Bradley, David Kearns, Jimmy McGrath, Peter Griffin, Davy Walsh, Liam Maloney, Josie Davoren, Kevin Corcoran, PJ Burke, Tom Codyre and Alec Bradley.

In the U13 City League Rahoon played Newcastle and had a big win. Stars for Rahoon were Gary Cloherty, Kevin Corcoran, Michael Kelly, Richie Walsh and Davy Shannon. Best for Newcastle were Mike Joyc , Gussy O Driscoll, Eoin O Sullivan, Barry Warde and Joe Delargy. Many of these players from both teams would feature together in a County final victory.

In November 1979 Rahoon embarked on their first ever sponsored 10k walk around the Parish starting at Bushypark School down to the main road and back to Drum over Tonabrucky and Letteragh and back to the school.

The year 1979 ended with the U13’s qualifiying for the Final against Woodquay a game that was not played until March 1980.

The 1980’s started off with the sad news in the Club of the loss of Stephen Griffin a serving member of the Irish Army on a UN Peacekeeping mission in Southern Lebanon. Stephen had played for the club at a number of under-age levels and was an accomplished boxing champion. His family would later donate a trophy in his memory. Indeed when Rahoon faced Tommy Larkins in the first round of the Senior Championship a minutes silence for Stephen was observed. Rahoon were defeated in this game and reports from the match states that only for Pat McGrath in goals the defeat would been much heavier. Rahoon also suffered defeats to Carnmore and Sarsfields in the Senior championship. Rahoon last game in the group was against Castlegar who were the reigning All Ireland Club champions which was a defeat by 5-15 to 2-3.

The Seniors then defeated Liam Mellowes in the Senior League “Reeves Cup” . They followed this up by a loss to Turloughmore, then a win against Tommy Larkings before losing the County league final to Ardrahan.

The U13’s defeated Woodquay in the City League final and this was the first underage title since 1974. Best for Rahoon were Ricky O Flaherty, Mike Keane, Tony Kelly, Gary Cloherty, Barry Rushe and Robert Walsh.

In the U14 Feile na Gael Rahoon hosted Laois Champions Rathdowney. The team arrived in Bushypark school and on Saturday night had a “big eat out” and bonfire and musical entertainment at the new pitch in Dangan. This was on Sunday by a Big Parade from St Mary’s College.

In the U16 Championship Rahoon defeated Salthill, Mervue and then Moycullen in the west board final. They played Abbey Duniry in the Co final going down by 1-8 to 1-6 when a contentious penalty was awarded in the last minute which was scored.

On the second Sunday of September Galway finally captured a second All Ireland hurling title by defeating Limerick 2-15 to 3-9. Rahoon entered teams for the first time in the U17 and U20 grade. The year closed with Tim Breen’s team defeating Josie Davoren’s in the U13 club blitz.

In 1981 Pat Joe Maloney was President, Michael Griffin was Chairman and Mattie O’Toole was secretary and Paddy Keane was Treasurer.

A major development took place when Rahoon representatives Gerry Cloherty, Hugh Grehan, Michael Griffin and Mattie O Toole met with Newcastle’s Bartley Joyce, Peter Gilligan, Tom Joyce, John O Donnell and Kevin O Sullivan. It was agreed to join up under the name Rahoon/Newcastle.

In the Senior Championship Rahoon were drawn with Gort, Kinvara, Sarsfields and Kilbeacanty. In the first game the Newspaper headline read “ Disallowed goal robs Rahoon”. Martin Concannon scored a last minute goal to level the game which was subsequently disallowed. This was to date the last year that Rahoon played at Senior at club level. Team was Mike McCormack, Seamus Griffin, Tim Mullins, Mattie O Toole, Marty McGrath, tom Riordan, Tim Murphy, Mike Mullins, Mike Mulcaire, Eamon Maloney, Mike Carr, Tom Connor, John Tarpey, Christy Ward and Martin Concannon.

In 1981 Rahoon/Newcastle hosted Killycloher of Tyrone in the Feile. Rahoon were defeated by Carnmore in the semi- final of the competition and they went on to win the final. Players included Alan Connolly, Robert Kelly Lynch, David Leahy, Ray Lawless, Eoin O Sullivan, John Heaney, Gary Cloherty, PJ Burke, Des Dalton, Robert Walsh, John Burke and Peter Keane.

In 1982 Rahoon returned to Intermediate grade after losing the deciding relegation game to Kilbeacanty. They were paired with Moycullen, Killimor, Tommy Larkins and Mullagh in the group. Rahoon qualified from the group but were beaten by Tynagh in the knock out stages.

Rahoon U17 won the City league by defeating Carnmore in the semi Final and Mervue in the Final on a score line of 4-2 to 2-3. Players included Mike Joyce, Padraic Keane, Bill O Kelly Lynch, Tommy Nestor, Sean Kelly, Tom Gilligan, Gary Cloherty, Peter Griffin, Tommy Higgins, Paul Burke, Liam Keane and Ricky O Flaherty

In U12 Rahoon reached their first ever County Final by defeating Liam Mellows, Tuam, Abbeyknockmoy and Pearses. They beat Tommy Larkins in the semi final but went down to Ballinasloe in the final. Team was Eamon Burke, Thomas Flaherty, Niall Duffy, John Heaney, peter Keane, David Giles, Bartley Joyce, Bryan Cloherty, Seamus Maloney, Kevin Burke, Sean Byrne and Michael Duignan.

Sean Davoren and Tom Riordan played in the All Ireland Junior final against Cork. Sean Davoren then joined the Galway Senior panel as result of his displays.

In 1983 Rahoon again won the U17 City League beating Carnmore, Mellows in the Semi final and Spiddal in the final. Honourable mention to Mike Swan, Tom Gilligan, Sean Mulkerrins, Paul Burke, Gary Cloherty and Rob O Kelly Lynch. The trophies wee presented after a youth Disco in Bushypark school.

The U12 lost the A City league final to Renmore after a replay.

In 1984 Michael McCormack was Chairman and Tom Riordan was Intermediate Captain and was part of a management team of Matty Moloney and Brendan Hyland. Junior Management was Peter Gilligan, Tom Joyce and Gerry Cloherty.

Work commenced on the new Quincentenary Bridge over the Corrib and a search was ongoing for missing Race horse Shergar. Ronald Regan visited Galway and a heatwave in July brought huge numbers to Salthill. This was also the Centenary year of the founding of the GAA.

Rahoon/Newcastle fielded in U21 County Championship for the first time in five years. Our U14 won the Willie Walsh trophy at the expense of Mervue who had future Galway Minor winning captain Conor O Donovan on board. Best for Rahoon were John Heaney, Niall Duffy, Bartley Og Joyce, Seamus Maloney, Eamon Burke, Kieran lynch and Bryan Cloherty.

Sean O Siochan Ard Runai of the GAA attended the Club’s annual dinner dance in March. Also present was Tim Codyre the oldest former hurler in the Parish.

At intermediate level there were wins against Ahascara ou gh and Craughwell and loses to Abbeyknockmoy before losing to Killimor in the knock out phase.

Sean Collerans team defeated Bartley Joyces team in the final of the Tarpey Cup.

In 1985 Tom Riordan was Chairman, Padraic Keane was Secretary and Paddy Keane was Treasurer. The old Parish was changing with a huge increase in population. Knocknacarra, Keeraun, Clybaun, Mincloon, Ballagh and Bushypark all became part of the City. The Corporation decided to provide three new pitches at Westside.

Rahoon defeated Moycullen in Intermediate but lost by one point to both Oranmore and Killimordaly and also had a loss against Kilbeacanty. Mention to Peter O Halloran, Tim Tarpey, Christy ward, Peter O Toole, Paul Burke, Tom Gilligan Tom Connor, Padraic Keane, Marty and Pat McGrath.

Sean Davoren played against Wexford in the All Ireland Junior Semi final. Gary Cloherty was called up to the Minor squad. The U21 were beaten by Kilnadeema in the County Semi final. The U16’s lost to Mellows in the Co semi- final by two points. The U14s won the Willie Walsh tournament beating Renmore.

In 1986 Paul Burke was now Secretary with Sean Davoren as intermediate Manager and Mattie O’Toole as Junior Manager. Rahoon joined with Moycullen and Spiddal to form a Gaeltacht team to take part in the Senior Championship. Team colours were Green, Amber and Maroon. The played Ballindereen, Kilbeacanty, Ardrahan and Clarinbridge. Rahoon players were Tom Riordan, Padraic Keane, Sean Davoren, Pat McGrath and Marty Davoren. Robert O Kelly Lynch and John Tarpey also featured.

In the Intermediate Championship Rahoon under the management of Michael Griffin lost by three points to Craughwell in the quarter finals and who went on to win the competition. Sean Davoren played against Kilkenny in the All Ireland Junior Semi-final.

In the U16 Championship Rahoon Newcastle defeated Craughwell, Turloughmore, then Ardrahan in the quarter final and Gort in the semi -final courtesy of a goal from Kieran Lynch. In the final they defeated Ballinasloe on a score line of 3-6 to 0-6. Team was Bryan Cloherty, Padraic Carr, Niall Duffy, Bertie O Halloran, Jimmy McGrath, Sean Byrne, Tom Keane, Bartley Joyce, Peter Keane, Ronan Duignan, Seamus Maloney, Kieran Lynch, Eamon Burke, Tom Flaherty, and top scorer Mike Fannon.

Bryan Cloherty became the first Captain to bring an underage County title to the Parish.

In a remarkable period of one week Padraic keane would captain the U21’s to win the C title one week after the U16’s. They defeated Kilbeacanty, Fohenagh and Mervue and defeated Leitrim by 3-6 to 1-8. Team was Davy Walsh, Padraic Keane, Liam Maloney, Ray Lawless, Mike Keane, Tom Gilligan, Des Rushe, Gary Cloherty, Rob O kelly Lynch, Paul Burke, Peter Griffin, Peter Keane, Eamon Murphy, John Feehan, Barry Rushe. Subs Eamon Sullivan for D Rushe.

In 1987 the U12 made it to the Co final beating Kilbeacanty, Moycullen and St Thomas but lost out to Ahascaragh. Starring were Brian O Donnell, Ronnie O Connell, Shane O Connor, Dara McInerney, Kenneth Walsh, Sean Duignan, Ronan Small, John Callaghan and Gerry Bowen.

The U21s now in the B grade again made it to the County Final. They beat Cappataggle, Kiconieron, Abbeyknockmoy, Kilnadeema and Meelick Eyrecourt in the semi final where they turned around a 8 point deficit to win out 6-9 to 5-9. Rahoon then had to wait eight weeks for the final against Carnmore where they were defeated by a team that would form the basis of the great Carnmore Senior teams who made it to three County senior Finals.

Robert O Kelly Lynch played for Galway U21’a against Clare in the All Ireland semi-final.

Bryan Cloherty, John and Tom Keane won Connacht Senior A Colleges medals with St Marys by defeating Garbally and then Portumna in the Final.

The Intermediates had wins against Ballinasloe and Ahascaragh but lost out in a three way play off to Moycullen. Rahoon won €6348 in the County development draw.

Galway beat Kilkenny to win their third all Ireland Senior title.

In 1988 Marty Davoren was Chairman and Tom Gilligan was Secretary. Rahoon had three players on the County Minor panel. Bryan Cloherty played in goals and Peter Keane at left half back in the All Ireland semi -final against a DJ Carey led Kilkenny. Seamus Maloney had also been on the team but got injured in the lead up to the semi-final.

The U14’s won the Willie Walsh trophy. Team was Brian O Donnell, Paul Flannery, Sean Duignan, John Callaghan, Shane O Connor, Dan Callaghan, Robert Keane, Paul Forde, Stephen murphy, Ronan Small, Cathal Hughes, Ronnie O Connell, Mike O Malley, Derek Hannan, Gary Sheridan and Dara McInerney.

In the Minor Championship Rahoon defeated Abbeyknockmoy and Ahascaragh before defeating Moycullen in the County Semi-final by 2-8 to 0-8. Rahoon went on to defeat St Thomas in the final to win their first ever County Minor title in Loughrea on a score line of 1-9 to 2-5. Team was Bryan Cloherty, Padraic Carr, Bertie O Halloran, Niall Duffy, Niall Taylor, Jimmy McGrath, Peter Keane, Tom Keane, Bartley Joyce, Seamus Maloney (captain), Johnny Walsh, Kieran Lynch, Tom Flaherty, Mike Fannon, Ronan Duignan, Padraic Folan, Niall O Driscoll, Bernard Finneran, Colie Keane, Eoin Flannery, Hugh Cunningham, Mathew Maloney, Fergal Coyne and Donal Maloney.

The U8 and U11 leagues continued in Dangan under John O’Donnell, Hugh Grehan and Brendan Ruane.

Galway retained the All Ireland Senior Championship by defeating Tipperary in the final.

In 1989 the Intermediate level the team was in transition and only 8 of the team who lined out had played in the previous year’s championship. They played Craughwell, Pearses and Portumna in their group games.

Rahoon U14’s retained the Willie Walsh U14 Hurling Cup defeating Mervue by 3-1 to 0-2. Team was Colm O Halloran, Paddy Lee, Sean Duignan, Barry Casserly, Brian Langan, Shane O Connor, Declan Sheridan, John Callaghan, Mike O Malley, Ronan Small, Brain O Donnell, Kenneth Nally, Martin Kearns, Tom Burke, Derek Hannon, Subs Gerard Langan, Daragh Sheridan, Martin and Shane Corcoran, R Hennessy.

The U21’s beat St Thomas, Pearses and Tommy Larking before losing the County B semi-final to Ballinasloe who went on to win the competition.

Sean Byrne and Thomas Flaherty were called up for County Minor trials. Tom Riordan was picked at full back on a City League All Stars team to play Galway the reigning All Ireland Champions. Padraic Keane also made the panel.

The 1990’s Time to rebuild. An astonishing fact that of the two Rahoon Newcastle U21 squads who won the County Final in 1986 and who were defeated in the 1987 final that only eight of the younger players remained by 1990. The Early 1990s was time when the Airports of Knock, Shannon and Dublin were full of the young people of Ireland departing these shores for new lives abroad. It was the 1950’s repeating themselves. Club secretary Tom Gilligan had left for the states along with many others. Attendance at AGMs were at a low ebb.

Michael Griffin was now Chairman, Mattie O’Toole was Secretary and Marty Davoren was Treasurer. A decision was taken to regrade to Junior A was taken to try and bring some stability to the adult set up and Rahoon had gone from Senior in 1982 to Junior in eight years.

The Junior A team were now managed by Joe Clarke, Fr Martin Glynn and Tom Joyce. They were now based in the Westside Playing pitches. They failed to get out of their Championship group but made it to the semi-final of the West Board.

Pride of Place this year went to the Junior C team who beat Tynagh, Athenry, Annaghdown and reached the County Final against Abbey Duniry. For a number of older players it was a last hurrah but unfortunately it ended in defeat. Team was Sean Davoren, Marty McGrath, Tommy Riordan, Tim Tarpey, Mike Carr, Tim Mullins, PJ Burke, Tom Connor, Colie Keane, Robert Walsh, Mick O Connell, Mike Joyce, Bartley Joyce, Christy Ward and John O Donnell.

Niall Taylor and Kieran Lynch were called in for County Minor Trials.

John Keane won a Connacht U21 football title with Galway.

Our U15 won the Feile na Coiribe Final defeating Tommy Larkins in the Final. This was the successful team who had previous year won the Willie Walsh tournament.

The Club also held its first ever Race Night in Bransky’s which was a great success. The running costs of the Club were £1586
In 1991 Tom Keane became Chairman , John Keane was Secretary and Tom O Connor was Treasurer. The U20 team beat Liam Mellows and then Moycullen to win the City League. Bryan Cloherty scored 3-4 out of 3-10. Other honourable mentions to Peter Keane, the other Keane brothers John and Tom, Bartley Og Joyce.

In the Junior A championship Rahoon defeated Salthill and then Sarsfields in quarter final. They faced Turloughmore in the semi-final in Carnmore and fell to a score line of 2-8 to 0-12. A young Francis Forde starred for Turloughmore. Sean Davoren, Sean Colleran Thomas Flaherty and Seamus Maloney were best for Rahoon.

Robert Keane and Dan Callaghan were invited into train with the County Minors.

The 1992 the AGM was held in Bransky’s, the main source of income was noted as Card Game in the Sacre Coeur hotel which raised £1400. Hugh Grehan became Chairman and Tom Keane became Treasurer. Former County Hurler Brendan Lynskey and Tony Keady (RIP) were elected as trainers of the Junior A team with Mattie O Toole, Joe Clarke and Tom Connor as selectors.

In March they faced Fohenagh in the 1991 Open Draw Semi-final from the previous year. This game went to replay with Rahoon coming out on top. They then played Skehanagh in the final winning by 5-10 to 1-9. Sean Byrne poached a couple of goals after half time which nailed the game.

In the Junior A Championship Rahoon defeated Salthill, and Fohenagh before meeting an up and coming Cappataggle team in the semi-final. Rahoon won by 4-13 to 1-5. Rahoon had now added Tom Flaherty, Mike Menton, Mike Walsh and Mike Joyce to the panel.

The Final was held in Athenry in November in atrocious weather conditions. Rahoon prevailed in a tough uncompromising battle against Castlegar on a score line of 0-9 to 0-6 to return to Intermediate grade after a three year absence. Rahoon had won their first adult title since 1977. Team was Marty Davoren, John Keane, Ray Lawless, Niall Duffy, Tom Keane, Liam Maloney, Larry Durack, Sean Colleran, Mike Menton, Seamus Maloney, Mike Joyce, Mike Walsh, Bryan Cloherty, Sean Davoren and Peter Keane. Subs Sean Byrne, Peter Griffin.

All the hard work had paid off, the training in Westside and 4pm on the dark November evenings stood to the team.

The U16’s reached the concluding stages of the Championship but were beaten by Skehanagh in a replay. The U14 hosted a team from Meath in the Feile Competition

In early 1993 Rahoon met Cappataggle in the 1992 Open Draw final and won by 1-11 to 1-5. In the space of 12 months Rahoon had won two Junior League County titles and a Junior A championship.

Unfortunately Brendan Lynskey could not be persuaded to stay on for the Intermediate campaign and instead he joined with Athenry and they went on to win the County Senior Championship.

The 1993 AGM was held in the Glenlo Abbey in Bushypark. Tim Tarpey handed in a cheque for £1555 for sponsorship. Niall Duffy was now club Secretary and John Keane became treasurer. A finance committee was elected to start the process of putting funds in place to purchase a home for the Club.

Rahoon Newcastle won its first ever U12 title by defeating St Thomas on a score line of 3-3 to 0-1. Panel was Niall Carr, John O Toole, Tony Og Regan, Martin Kelly, Gary Small, Con Murphy, John Gannon, Brian Conneely, Ian Griffin, Barry Heffernan, MJ Cooney, Paul Ruane, Patrick Grehan, Martin McGrath, John Harney, Cormac Coyne, Seamus Coyne, Sean O Sullivan, Noel Murphy, Tony Heffernan, Tom Nally, Derek O Toole, M O Sullivan, Mossy Burke, Sean Heffernan. Coach was Tony Regan Snr.

Rahoon Newcastle also won their first U14 title when defeating Tynagh coincidentally on the same score line as the U12’s 3-3 to 0-1. Panel was Kevin McDonagh, David Forde ( future Irish Goalkeeper). Daragh Sheridan (Aston Villa) Robert Langan, Donal Carr, Enda Conneely, Andrew Keane, Brendan Ruane, Ian Griffin, John Paul Warde, Ml Forde, Paul Ruane, John Griffin, Barry O Donnell, Jarlath Carr, Trevor Sherry, Ml Harty, Niall Carr and Martin McGrath. Managers were Pat McGrath, John Keane, Seamus Griffin.

In the Intermediate Championship under Management of Tim Tarpey and coached by Tony Keady (RIP) Rahoon lost their first game to Clarinbridge but then had two wins over Beagh and Tommy Larkins. They fell to Craughwell in the deciding group game.

In September Rahoon as County Junior Champions were invited to the All-Ireland Junior Sevens in St Jude’s in Dublin. Rahoon defeated Ballysagart Waterford, Tullogher of Kilkenny, Faughs from Dublin and in deciding the group beat Bodyke from Clare . In the quarter finals Rahoon defeated Killavilla from Offaly and Glenroe from Limerick in the semi-final. The faced Latten Cullen from Tipperary with Nicky English on board which they ultimately failed to overcome. Credit to the panel of Marty Davoren, John Keane, Niall Duffy, Sean Colleran, Mike Walsh, Mike Joyce, Davy Kearns, Tom Flaherty, Tom Keane, Bryan Cloherty and Peter Keane.

At the AGM in 1994 a decision was taken which would have a hugely positive impact on the Club for years to come. A Finance committee was set up of Martin Joe Faherty, John Keane, Peter O Toole, Mike Carr, Michael Griffin, Robert Keane and Tim Tarpey. This committee would later in the year set up the clubs first ever lotto which was held upstairs in Bransky’s, Westside. The late Paddy Connor who was so good to the Club down through the years guaranteed he would cover the first Jackpot if it was won on the night.

The Intermediates lost to Clarinbridge and Tommy Larkins and beat Ahascaragh but didn’t qualify out of the group.

The U21 were beaten in the County C Final by Ballinasloe. The Junior C’s also made it to the County final before losing to Clarinbridge. The Minors C however went all the way beating Sylane, Ballygar, Skehanagh and beat Annaghdown in the final.

The U11’s travelled to Dublin to the Paddy Lawlor Memorial tournament hosted by Ballinteer St Johns. They took home the trophy beating beat Cuala, Ballyboden, St Enda’s and Kildare Champions Coill Dubh. At years end the U13’s beat hot favourites Castlegar in the City League A final played at Westside.

In 1995 pride of place went to the U14’s who beat Leitrim/Kilnadeema, Kilconieron, Killimor, Oranmore in the semi-final and then Tommy Larkins on a score line of 2-4 to 0-3. Goals from Patrick Grehan and Niall Carr helped them along the way. Team was Ian Griffin, Sean Heffernan, John O Toole, Greg Small, Brian Conneely, Con Murphy, Tom Burke, John Gannon, Niall Carr, Martin Kelly, Patrick Grehan, Peter Ruane, Brian Kelly, Jonathan Harney and Martin McGrath. Subs Tony Og Regan, MJ Cooney, Martin Forde, Seamus Coyne, Eric Coughlan, Kenneth McCormack, Barry Heffernan, Adrian Kelly, Michael O Sullivan, Colin Naughton, Derek O Toole, Martin Hynes and Pat Heffernan. Team Manager were Tony Regan, Hugh Grehan, Brendan Ruane, Pat McGrath and Peter O Toole. Clare Hurler Jamesie O Connor presented the medals in Kelehans later in the year.

The Intermediates had a poor run in the championship and exited at the group stages. They reached the City League final before losing to Moycullen after a replay.

Brian O Donnell played with Galway U21’s. Peter Keane played with Galway Juniors against Limerick and Barry O Donnell played in goals with Galway U16’s.

We are now in the mid 1990’s the Internet age, mobile phones and e mails were all on their way. At the AGM in 1997 another hugely important decision was taken to set up a development committee to find a home for a new pitch for the club. Hugh Grehan, John Keane, Mattie and Peter O Toole, John O Donnell and Martin Joe Faherty were appointed. Peter O Toole was now Chairman and Robert Keane was Secretary.

The County Junior winning side of 1996 were honoured at a gala dinner in the Scare Coeur.

The U13’s won the Barna/Furbo tournament. The U14 and U16 travelled to Limerick and beat na Piarsaigh in both games. The U15’s captured the City League titles. The Clubs first Summer Camp took place in July in Westside. David Kelly, Mattie Silke and Liam Ryan played for Galway in the U12 Inter City competition.

Barry O Donnell would play in goals for Galway U16 and win the Nenagh Co-op Tournament. He had previously won the U14 Tony Forrestal tournament with Galway. Tony Og Regan and Brian Conneely were called for trials with Galway U14’s.

The Minors defeated Liam Mellows in the City League final on a score line of 2-14 to 2-06. Best for Rahoon were Niall Carr, Jarlath and Donal Carr, Ronan Kelly, Robert Langan, Andrew Keane at full forward who scored 1-2 and Martin Kelly at corner forward. Manger was Pat McGrath.

In October Rahoon Newcastle made it to the U16 A2 final against Sarsfields. They had defeated St Thomas, Gort, Tynagh Abbey Duniry, and Meelick Eyrecourt in the semi-final. In wet conditions in Ballinasloe they emerged victorious on score line of 1-4 to 0-5. Stars on the day were Ian Griffin, Joseph Cooney, Eoin Poil, Martin McGrath, Niall Carr, Martin Kelly, Tony Og Regan, Brian Conneely and Sean Heffernan.

Rahoon then had a great win in the Barna/Furbo tournament by defeating Oranmore in the final by 3-1 to 1-1. The next generation of stars were making their way. Panel was Ray Conneely, Enda Feeney, Kevin Silke, Jamie Davoren, Emmett Heffernan, Eoin Hyland, Stephen Kelly, Eddie Hoare, Dermot Tarpey, Caiman Garry, Michael Hoare, Cian O Donnell, Paul Kelly, Ivan O Connor, and Aodhfin Grehan.

Finally the U15s rounded off a fantastic year by winning the City league final against Annaghdown played in Dangan. Mention in this game to Denis Callaghan, Anthony Heffernan, Peter Feeney, Greg Leahy, Timmy Mullins, Eamon Joyce, David Keane, Adrian Kelly, Tom Nally, Martin Hynes and David Kelly.

Donal Carr, Barry O Donnell and Jarlath Carr were called in to County Minor trials. John O Toole and Niall Carr had U16 trials while David Kelly and Tony Og Regan had trials with County U14. Tony Og would later win the Tony Forrestal U14 tournament in Waterford.

The search for a home continued and sites in Letteragh, Circular Rd, Drum, Brownsville and Laurel Park were all looked at. In June a meeting was set up with Tonabrucky native Patrick Murphy who last played with the club at minor level in 1948 and agreement was reached on the purchase of 8 acres of land in Tonabrucky.

An EGM was organised in Kelehan’s in November and Martin Joe Faherty, Peter Gilligan and Peter O Toole became trustees of the Club.

In 1998 Sarah Heffernan was now Secretary. Intermediate management team was Seamus Griffin, Mike Carr and Tony Regan Snr. Marty Davoren was Junior B Manager and John Keane U21. Rahoon lost one of its stalwarts Michael Reardon of Keeraun who was a former treasurer and Juvenile officer for a number of years.

Johnny Gannon started work in early March on the new pitch.

The Intermediate beat Tynagh in the first round of the Championship, then defeated Beagh, lost to Sarsfields by three. They failed to get out of the group after losing by three points to St Thomas. Players mentioned in this game were Larry Durack, Gerry Niland, Barry and Brian O Donnell, Bryan Cloherty, Niall Carr and Peter and Robert Keane.

The Juniors had some notable victories including over Craughwell mention goes to David Kearns, Niall Duffy, Christy Niland and Martin Horan.

The Club launched its first Juvenile coaching programme in the Sacre Coeur. Barney Winston Galway Coaching and Games development launched the plan.

The U12’s under the guidance of Gerry Kelly defeated Carnmore in the City League final. They then followed this up by defeating St Thomas in the County Final. Panel was Colin Heffernan, Alan Glynn, Eddie Hoare, Aodhfin Grehan, Conor Hoctor, Dermot Tarpey, Enda Feeney, Robert Early, Aidan Hickey, Stephen Kelly, Eoin Hyland, Eoin Coyne, Roy Leahy, Ray Conneely, Kevin Silke, David Davoren, Ivan O Connor, Paul Kelly, Emmett Heffernan, Paul McGrath, Michael John Mulcaire, David O’Halloran, Aidan Heffernan, Cian O Donnell, James Davoren, Patrick Heffernan, Nigel Concannon, Michael Hoare, Caomin Garry and George Donnellan.

Bushypark National School coached by Jimmy Davoren won the 9 aside schools competition.

Barry O Donnell made the County Minor Hurling Team. Bryan Cloherty made the Galway Intermediate panel. Tony Og Regan starred for the Galway U16’s in their win the Nenagh Co-op tournament in October.

In 1999 at the last AGM of the Century Hugh Grehan was elected Secretary.

The U16s were defeated in the County Semi-final against Ahascaragh. They had defeated Killimordaly, Kilbeacanty and Ballindereen before this. Panel included Tom Chambers, Sean Coyne, Peter Ruane, Mattie Silke, Eamon Joyce, Gary O Toole, Liam Ryan, Greg Leahy, Patrick Regan, Mike McGrath, David Withero, Ian Griffin, Tony Og Regan, Timmy Mullins, Denis Callaghan, Donnacha Coyne, Colin Heffernan, Thomas Kelly,

The U12s now had two teams with the A’s being defeated in the County semi-final.

The Intermediates lost their first championship game to Moycullen and then beat Ballinasloe. The lost the City League semi-final to Turloughmore. They were defeated by Castlegar by two points in the Paddy Keane memorial cup by two points. Mentioned in these games were Adrian Moran, Shane O Connor, Colie Keane, Martin McGrath, Peter Keane, Robert Keane, Larry Durack, Bryan Cloherty and Alan Kelly.

Niall Carr won an All-Ireland Minor medal with Galway becoming the first Rahoon player to do so. Sean Heffernan won the All Ireland Vocational Schools title with Galway. Tony Og won the Nenagh Co-op U16 tournament with Galway.

The Club launched its first major fundraising draw with a prize fund of £50,000. John and Moira Manifold would win the £30,000 cash first prize the following April. The Club were approved some grant from Roinn Na Gaeltachta.

In 2004 Tony Og won a National Hurling League medal when Galway defeated Waterford in the Final. He became the first person from the club to play in an All Ireland Senior hurling final in 2005 against Cork.

In 2003 our new pitch was opened in Thonabrocky. In Jan 2008 our first AGM was held in our newly constructed Club House. A total of €1.2 million was spent on the purchase of the land, developing our pitch and the building of the Clubhouse and wall ball.

In 2012 Tony Óg Played in the All Ireland Senior final v Kilkenny. He also won a Leinster Championship medal when Galway beat Kilkenny in the final.

In 2015 John Hanbury played in the All Ireland Senior final v Kilkenny. Eamon Brannigan won All Ireland Intermediate title with Galway.

In 2016 the Club set up a Camogie section of the club for the first time. We now have 160 girls.

In 2017 John Hanbury became the first player from the club to win the Liam McCarthy Cup when he played corner back versus Waterford. He played against Limerick in the 2018 final. Our Junior C’s won the County final defeating Loughrea in Pearse Stadium.